Monday, September 3, 2012

Gluten Free Pizza

mmmm... pizza.

pizza

Definitely a favorite food for the girls. After making our own pizzas at home, I don't like ordering pizza anymore. I do like that there's a local place in town that makes gluten free pizza, but it's expensive and only so-so. The girls would all rather make their own. They also get their own personal pizzas with their own preferred toppings that way too.

This pizza dough isn't your typical glutened kind that involves kneading and rolling. This stuff has more the consistency of brownie batter and you'll need parchment paper on your pan and a moistened spatula to spread it. After the first few tries, you'll get the hang of it. I know I have.

09142011

Gluten Free Pizza Dough

2 cups gluten free flour blend
1/2 cup millet flour
1 1/2tsp xanthan gum
2T grated Parmesan cheese
2T ground flax seed (optional)
1 tsp salt
1 packet yeast (2 1/4 tsp)
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp basil
1/4 tsp granulated garlic
1 1/4 - 1 1/2 cups warm water
1 egg
3 T olive oil

Combine dry ingredients in the bowl of a stand mixer. Add wet ingredients and mix on low until combined. Turn to high and beat for 2-3 minutes until thoroughly combined and thick.

Line cookie sheets or pizza pan with parchment paper (an absolute must!). Scoop out dough onto prepared pans and spread using a moistened spatula. Let sit 30 minutes in a draft free location. I usually turn my oven on to low and put the pans in the oven. If I leave them on the counter, I run into a cat and children who like to sneak bites.

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Bake crusts for 10-15 minutes until lightly browned and pulling away from paper. Top with your favorite toppings and bake for another 10-15 minutes.

I now make a double batch of dough, spread out several personal sized pizza crusts, bake and freeze them.

Makes 2 12-in pizzas, a large rectangle or 6 5-in pizzas. I make a large 12 inch and 3 little ones for the girls.

No comments:

Post a Comment