Friday, August 24, 2012

Apple Crisp

Sorry, I fell off the face of the earth. Honestly, it's felt like that. In the last 18 months, I went back to school, sent Tink to preschool, bought a house, remodeled parts of said house, moved, acquired a kitten that I had to bottle feed, graduated from college, adopted a dog & survived two very hyper, very opinionated & technically savvy twins. It's exhausting just to write, even more to live. All the while thinking "I've gotta start blogging again," but something had to give & this was it. It's especially true when the twins scream hysterically if you enter a 2 foot radius around the computer. The only time to blog would be after they went to bed & the majority of the time, I was asleep then too. So, I'm back or at least trying to be back. And I bring you apple crisp as a peace offering.

You can actually use the topping for any fruit really. I've made blueberry crisp with the berries the girls and I picked last summer, but usually there's outrage if they get used for cooking. The girls would rather eat them right off the bush or straight from the freezer. I'll never forget Tink requesting blueberry muffins and then realizing the blueberries were cooked IN the muffins. It didn't go over well. My mom loves apple crisp and so do I. This is actually adapted from her recipe.

From the end of September to the beginning of December, I make apple crisps on a near weekly basis. You just can't compete with how easily it comes together and how delicious ripe, local apples are. I sometimes make it in a big glass pan. My mom bought me the blue glass pan as my Easter basket one year. It gets used constantly. Other times I make individual servings in cups from Pampered Chef. I love making it that way because it can easily be covered & sent to work with the hubby. It's nice to have a single serving too.

apple crisp

Apple (Fruit) Crisp

4-5 medium apples, peeled & chopped
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp lemon juice or apple juice

Topping:
1 cup certified gluten free oats
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup gluten free flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/3 cup butter, melted

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Toss apples with juice, cinnamon and nutmeg in large bowl or baking dish. In medium bowl, combine dry ingredients for topping. Pour in melted butter, stirring with a fork until well moistened. Beak large clumps & pour over apple mixture. Spread in an even layer & bake 25-30 minutes until top becomes golden brown & crunchy and apples are tender. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.

 apple crisp2

No comments:

Post a Comment