Friday, August 24, 2012

M&M Cookies, revisited

While we loved our old M&M cookies, something was missing. I don't like crunchy, flat cookies. I never have. And I especially didn't like crunchy chocolate chip cookies. I tried adjusting temperatures and cooking times and flour content, but it wasn't that simple. My first recipe change was to swap out some shortening for applesauce. From my previous gluten free baking experience, I knew it would add moisture to the finished cookie. I also upped the xanthan gum by a bit, not much, but enough to add chewiness. Then, to keep them puffy, I refrigerated the dough for at least 30 minutes and between baking batches. It worked! When I pulled the cookie sheet out of the oven, I was pleasantly surprised. They were definitely puffy. I let them cool slightly and the first bite was chewy and soft. I was in heaven. I knew I had to let them cool completely before I'd know if I was truly successful. I was nervous, but I had succeeded. When the Hubby took a bite, all he could say was "mmmm." I think he ate the majority of them and kept telling me they were the best he'd ever had. So please, if you like soft, chewy, puffy chocolate chip cookies, you've gotta try these!

Cookie making Tink 
M&M/Chocolate Chip Cookies

2/3 cup shortening
1/3 cup applesauce
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 T vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
2 1/2 cups GF flour blend
1 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
1/2 tsp salt
1/8-1/4 tsp cinnamon
12 oz chocolate chips or M&Ms

Cream shortening, applesauce and sugars. Blend in eggs and vanilla. In separate bowl, whisk together baking soda, flour, xanthan gum, salt and cinnamon. Add dry ingredients to wet and mix well. Stir in chocolate chips or M&Ms. Chill dough for at least 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Drop by tablespoonfuls on a baking sheet. Bake 8-10 minutes. Let cool slightly before removing from cookie sheet. Cool completely on wire racks before storing.

 *Sorry there's no picture of the cookies. I just realized I never took one and they disappeared so quickly, I didn't get another chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment