Friday, August 24, 2012

Buttermilk Pancakes

For some reason, when I thought of making buttermilk pancakes, I was intimidated. I didn't think I could make them, let alone make them gluten free. Before going gluten free, I always used mixes to make pancakes. Now I question myself why. After eating these, I will never order pancakes in a restaurant or use a mix again. They are beyond delicious and I don't even use butter or syrup on them, unlike Tink and my hubby. The batter is slightly thick, but it depends on your buttermilk, and you DO have to use buttermilk. I attempted these doing the "soured milk" trick and they tasted ok, but the texture was all wrong. The batter was too thin too. They ran all over the pan so I had to make teeny tiny ones. The batter should be the consistency of house paint. It will flatten out in the pan, but it shouldn't involve you spreading it yourself. As for the xanthan gum, it's your choice. If you use it, the pancakes will be lighter and fluffier. If you want thinner pancakes, leave it out.
buttermilk pancakes

Buttermilk Pancakes

1 cup gluten free flour
1/4 tsp xanthan gum, optional
1/8 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
2T sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup buttermilk
3T oil or melted butter
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla

Whisk dry ingredients in a small bowl. In a separate bowl, beat egg, oil, buttermilk and vanilla. Add wet ingredients to the flour mixture and whisk until smooth. Melt some butter in a nonstick skillet. Drop batter onto skillet and cook until golden brown on both sides. Serve warm with your choice of toppings or plain.

No comments:

Post a Comment