Friday, August 24, 2012

Snickerdoodles

Snickerdoodles are quite easily my favorite cookie. My mom has been making them for as long as I can remember. The recipe she used came from Home EC when she was in school and is by far the best. Luckily, my mom's recipe translated easily into a gluten free version. I mostly just had to change the flour and the finished product tastes just like the original. The texture is even right. They're not too crunchy or crumbly, but be careful not to over bake or they will fall apart. If you refrigerate the dough, you'll end up with a puffier cookie, otherwise they flatten out and the tops crack. I think they taste good either way, it just depends on your preference. I know my mom likes a puffier cookie so I refrigerate the dough when I'm making them for her. I actually made these this morning to bring to a Christmas party at the in-laws. I knew there would be tons of food, especially cookies, that Tink couldn't eat so I thought I'd bring these along. She seems to like them, but after she took a couple bites, she looked at me and said, "I wanted the chocolate ones." I'm not sure if she meant M&M cookies or chocolate crinkles, but she is a bit of a chocoholic. She actually didn't eat a single one at the party. She's good at that. I go out of my way to make her something gluten free and then she'll refuse to eat it. I guess that's what it's like to be a 2 year old.

snickerdoodles

Snickerdoodles
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup shortening
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
2 3/4 cups gluten free flour
2 tsp xanthan gum
2 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup sugar + 1T cinnamon for rolling

Heat oven to 375F. Cream shortening, sugar, vanilla and eggs in mixing bowl. Stir in dry ingredients. Refrigerate at least 30 min for "puffy" cookies or use immediately for flatter cookies. Drop tablespoon size balls into the cinnamon-sugar mixture and roll to coat. Place on cookie sheet. Bake 7-8 minutes. Cool on wire rack. Makes 3-4 dozen.

No comments:

Post a Comment